Sunday, March 11, 2007

Getting X window back

Ok, I messed up. I wanted to do some upgrade to my kubuntu Desktop Linux but ended up removing some libs, and X window. I got a console after reboot. These steps got it back:

sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core

Then use this to select a resolution:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This should get the desktop back:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

After this step, I need to manually apt-get a few missing packages to be able to run startx. After this, things are pretty much back to normal Oh one thing before it became normal, KDE halted when it tried to set up interprocess communication. The solution is:

chmod owner /home/owner/ICEauthority

Somehow, the ownership of this file got changed. So changing it back fixed it.

No comments: